The Directorate is responsible for quality assurance and quality improvement of educational standards at primary, secondary, teacher training colleges, technical colleges and special needs education institutions. DIAS ensures that there is effective curriculum development and curriculum implementation. It ensures that all schools are inspected for compliance to educational policies and set standards. It also ensures availability of quality teaching and learning materials in schools and colleges.
- Enforcement, maintenance and evaluation of education standards
- Enforcement of the Education Act
- Initiation of the development and review of education curriculum,
- Formulation of Inspection and Advisory policies,
- Advising the MOEST on inspection and advisory issues
- Registration of both Government and private schools
- Registration and licensing of teachers
Major achievements of the 2013/14
- Inspection visits to 356 primary schools
- Inspected 208 secondary schools
- With support from USAID scaled up Malawi Early Grade Reading Activity (EGRA) in 11 education districts. The project has four main components:
- Provision of quality reading instruction for early grade students.
- Provision of teaching and learning materials on reading.
- Increasing parental and community engagement to support student reading.
- Improving policy environment to support early grade reading
- Carried out Early Grade Reading Activity ( EGRA) Baseline Evaluation. This is a baseline assessment for an impact evaluation of the EGRA project in 11 districts addressing learner reading outcomes in Standards 2 and 4 and a national reading assessment of standard 1 and 3 learners
- Reviewed Junior and senior secondary curriculum in all subjects
- Carried out data analysis for PCAR implementation Monitoring and Evaluation
- Processed starter pack for revised Chichewa Standard 1 Learners book and Teachers Guide with USAID
- Drafted National Education Standards