The vision for the education sector is to be a catalyst for socio-economic development, industrial growth and instrument for empowering the poor, the weak and voiceless. Education enhances group solidarity, national consciousness and tolerance of diversity (MGDS 2006:50). In essence, the sector wishes to ensure better access and equity, relevance and quality, and good governance and management in all institutions from basic education to higher education.
The mission of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology is
- To provide quality and relevant education to the Malawian nation .Such education should enable people to acquire relevant knowledge, skills, expertise and competencies to perform effectively as citizens, workforce and as leaders of Malawi, thereby reduce poverty amongst the people of Malawi.
- To promote science and Technology and ensure science-led development.
To realize the vision and its mission, and in accordance with these strategic priorities, the education sector has defined three thematic areas of intervention during the ten year period of the current National Education Sector Plan (2008 – 2017), namely:
- Expand equitable access to education to enable all to benefit
- Improve quality and relevance of education to reduce drop-out and repetition and promote effective learning.
- Improve governance and management of the system to enable more effective and efficient delivery of services.