Its mission is to provide accessible, equitable and relevant education to all learners with special educational needs at all levels through quality special needs education teacher development, production of specialized instructional materials and assistive devices, research work, assessment, guidance and counseling and other related services.
- Implement school and community based advocacy programmes on Special Needs Education and Inclusive Education.
- Conduct school screening for early detection of learners with special educational needs and provision of appropriate intervention.
- Facilitate training for specialist teachers at certificate, diploma and degree levels.
- Mobilize and administer resources for special needs education.
- Monitor and supervise delivery of special needs education services.
- Coordinate programmes in special needs education.
- Collaborate with other departments within the Ministry of Education, other ministries, NGOs, the civil society and all other stakeholders on Special Needs Education.
- Formulate policies in special needs education and inclusive education.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate Special Needs Education services.